If a Magic Chef Refrigerator is not performing up to its usual standard, there could be many reasons why. Below you can find a few of the common defects found with Magic Chef Refrigerators, their possible causes as well as their solutions.
Defect Number 1: The Refrigerator Is Not Cooling
· The condenser coils located under the refrigerator need cleaning or,
· The condenser fan motor is defective by not being able to spin freely, or lacking continuity and will therefore need replacing or,
· The evaporator fan motor is defective which can be noticed if it is unusually noisy, not spinning as normal or lacking continuity and will therefore need replacing or,
· The start relay has a burnt odour or is lacking continuity and will therefore need replacing or,
· The temperature control thermostat lacks continuity or does not click when rotated from its lowest to highest settings and will therefore need replacing or,
· The start capacitor lacks continuity and will therefore need replacing or,
· The thermistor resistance does not change in conjunction with the refrigerator temperature or lacks continuity when tested with a multimeter and will therefore need replacing.
Defect Number 2: The Refrigerator Water Dispenser Is Not Working
· The water supply tube in the door is frozen and will need thawing or,
· The freezer is not kept between the temperatures 0-10 degrees Fahrenheit or,
· The water inlet valve is defective by lacking continuity and will therefore need replacing. Avoid attempting to repair it as disassembling it can cause the valve to fail or,
· The water pressure from the home supply is lower than 20 psi or,
- The dispenser control board or one of the dispenser parts is defective and will need replacing or,
- A dispenser switch is defective by lacking continuity and will therefore need replacing or,
- The water filter is clogged and therefore needs replacing or,
- The door switch is defective by lacking continuity when activated and therefore needs replacing.
Defect Number 3: The Refrigerator Is Noisy
· If the noise gets louder when one of the refrigerator’s doors are opened then the evaporator fan blade or condenser fan blade may not be turning as normal or is obstructed. All obstructions should be removed and the blade should be replaced if it is not turning normally. The evaporator fan motor may also be defective and creating a lot of noise and will therefore need to be replaced or,
· The condenser fan motor blade might have something caught in it or the condenser fan motor bearings are defective or,
· The compressor, normally situated underneath the refrigerator near the back, is damaged internally. Compressors must be replaced by a licensed technician or,
· If the noise gets louder when the ice maker is filling, the water inlet valve may be defective and require replacement. Avoid attempting to repair it as disassembling it can cause the valve to fail.